[FSUG-Bangalore] Questions on software applications

harish badrinath harishbadrinath at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 13:39:09 IST 2010

> Hello,
>
> I. What are the features in Oracle, SQL server, Lotus Notes, or any version
> control software in existence prior to August 2005 which provided for:
>
>    1.
>
>    replication or database synchronization? Was this on a peer to peer
>    basis?
>
>      Replication was provided for in mysql 3.23+, which according to
wikipedia was released in and around 2001.  It can be safely assumed to fit
into the description of a peer to peer service (Each node has more or less
the same capablities).

>    1.
>
>    Synchronization via a secure channel?
>
> Syncronization/ replication via a secure channel can be done using ssl/ ssl
tunneling. According to
http://www.option-c.com/xwiki/MySQL_Replication_with_SSL, this can be done
using Mysql version 4.1.x+

Syncronization via a secure channel can be done for using

>    1.
>    2.
>
>    Access control facility during database synchronisation?
>
>           It is normal practice to create a user specifically to handle
replication.

>    1.
>
>    Interface component in an application for database synchronisation?
>
>        ??

>    1.
>    2.
>
>    Database synchronisation within a data storage system or an intranet?
>
>            ??

>    1.
>
>    Tracking changes in data on a peer to peer basis during data
>    synchronization?
>
> AFAIK, you can query the master/slave to track the progress in replication

>    1.
>    2.
>
>    A user to offer and accept invitations for synchronization of data
>    within a data storage system he was part of?
>    3.
>
>    Maintenance of a membership list, modification of membership list for a
>    community of users who could synchronize their data on a peer to peer basis?
>
> Most non trivial databases should provide the above functionality, if not
in the exact way that it was stated here. Alas, I am no database expert :(

Hope, i have helped
Harish Badri Nath