[FSUG-Bangalore] Ideas for a Free Cafe Management Software

Safwan esafwan at gmail.com
Sat May 29 22:50:02 IST 2010

Hi all,
I am having a bit free time nowadays so thought of starting of a foss
project.

I had this idea of creating a state of art cyber cafe management suite. I
have started
collecting ideas for this. I don't see much good software out there that can
do this
efficiently in a production environment. And there is nothing in ubuntu
repository.

I'm starting this as a hobby free time project, but i need the community
support.

First let me tell some details, before taking your help.

1. I have shortlisted 3 tools. i.e
a) Python + QT + MySql.
b) kbasic + MySql.
c) Gambas (QT) + MySql.

I love python but have no much experience in it, I'm a beginner and zero
experience in GUI based apps.
So the possibility of choosing that is directly proportional to how well i
progress in learning it. The reason for
kabasic and gambas in the list is, i have good practical experience in vb6
and vb.net and have done a dozen of
projects, from office automation software to image manipulation. But
particularly under linux my only experience
is in gambas, I have done a student management system (premature) for a
local english school using mysql as db.
But the problem with gambas is it limits the app to linux, but kbasic is
multiplatform. But have no experience of db
programing with kbasic. So have to see how it works out. So my last resort
would be gambas.

Now to the help part:
I want help in deciding features. I know people out there will give me
thousands of features, so also need help in
prioritizing them. Because I'll be only doing in my free time, so if most
critical features are added first it will become
usable soon.

Also want idea on how to design the working of app. That is now my plan is
to make, a software for the client and a software for
the server. There will be a db in the server.

For example, when a user comes the admin logs the user in a particular
system with user details. the system logs in and the software starts
counting the time and recording the bandwidth usage. And when the user logs
out, the software shows the amount based on the tariff.
The information will be passed between server and client app by the
database(i don't know any other way to be honest), that is
both the client and server app keep updating the database.

Feature like provision for prepaid user, ability control user access to
certain sites or services etc.. are considered as a luxury
at this moment and will be added in next stage, that is after the first
working suite is ready!

And again let me tell, i'm doing this as a free time hobby project so
progress may be really pathetic. But i'm confident
that i'll do this at some point of time.

Thank You.