[FSUG-Bangalore] an open source success story at brindavan

Safwan esafwan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 01:17:04 IST 2010

Hi every body....
I am doing my bbm final at Brindavan College, Bangalore.
We had a business plan competition happening here...
I took this opportunity and sold a remasterd gnu/linux distro after adding
all software that
a normal user would need.

We where charging for the Dvd and Installation support (Rs.100)
Compiz, Gnome Do etc was pre Installed.

We successfully helped around 60 Students and Lecturers to change from
windows to Gnu/Linux.
In fact each time we gave a demo, 2 or 3 bought a copy. Only reason students
are not using this
is because they don't know about this. They have a feeling that this things
are not user friendly.

We where also promoting the free software philosophy. We wrote on the DVD
that it was freely redistrubutable.

We where selling it in the name uniQx, everything from icons to theme where
rebranded.

In the End we won the business plan and students came to know the power of
Gnu/Linux. We also published a bulletin comparing
features of linux with windows 7.

Wrote this so that this serves as an inspiration to plan similar campaigns
in campuses etc

Thanking You
Safwan Erooth