[FSUG-Bangalore] CMRIT is moving to GNU-Linux

jaykumar hs jaykumarhs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 17:59:36 IST 2009

Hi,

Today Karthik, Ravishankar and I met Prabhod, a faculty at CMRIT, Bangalore.
We were very happy to learn that the computer science dept. in the
Institution has moved to GNU-linux platform and also the management has
instructed all of its students ( which includes all the streams) to use only
GNU-linux on their laptops. Infact, all other departments also have been
convinced and are moving to GNU-linux. Prabhod said the management would be
very happy from this development as it would save lot of money on licensing.

Earlier, about 3 months back, Suresh kodoor and Rakesh had visited CMRIT and
taken sessions on free software philosophy and installation session.

Prabhod and his HOD informed that installation session of GNU-linux could be
held for about 250 students on their laptops during the technical
fest. Hence, one day session covering free software philosophy,
installation, alternatives available for different streams has been planned
on 21.03.2009 at CMRIT. This is for about 250 students of II semester of all
the students.
Other college students may also join for the same.

The HOD has invited us to take one day workshop for their faculty as well
for which planning is being done.

-jk