[FSUG-Bangalore] Free Software and Unique Identification Card

OpenSpace use.info at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 14:57:13 IST 2009

2009/7/25 Sanchith K. <sanchith at yahoo.com>

> There are several other shortcomings of using propreitary software and
> several advantages of using free-software, too long a list to be mentioned
> here.
>
> Thus it become an onus on the part of the Free Software community in
> advising the Unique Identification Authority of favouring free-software
> technologies. I am not aware of any such campaign by the free-software
> community in this regard. If so I believe that we must start immediately at
> supporting such campaign and put up a united front against use of
> propreitary softare in the UID project and am releived that my concerns are
> not just isolated. It would also help to popularize free-software in India.
>
> I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions on this topic.
>
> Thanks,
> Sanchith K.
>
> Given the short attention spans, could we have two short lists (both
together to be on 1 page max)
1. 5 Reasons why FOSS should be used for UID
2. 5 Reasons why Microsoft (or any other proprietory software) should not be
used for UID

later we can elaborate with
5 Reasons why using M$ for UID is a threat to national security etc.

This can then be sent to all newspapers and opinion leaders (the one page
format is good for the comprehension level of the MPs and MLAs too, not to
mention the IT secretaries).

I am sort of illiterate in the technical aspects of FOSS so please feel free
to rubbish the idea.

best wishes

Edwin