[FSUG-Bangalore] Nudi and FOSS

vinay sreenivasa vinay at itforchange.net
Mon Jan 12 12:46:21 IST 2009

Hi All,

In trying to promote FOSS with the government of Karnataka, one of the
problems is that Nudi does not work on any FOSS OS. However in getting
Nudi to work on a FOSS OS, i guess there are various issues , some of
which I have written below. Requesting the community to go through the
same and let me know If I have captured the problem accurately and also
let me know your thoughts on the solutions.

There is a way to make Nudi work on a FOSS distro by using SCIM I guess,
but that will mean that we have to implement Nudi in its existing format
which is not in Unicode. On the other hand, to move Nudi to Unicode, it
has to be done only by the KGP, soemthing which we dont know if they are
willing to do.

Now assuming that we get KGP to move Nudi to Unicode(and make it free
and open) i guess there are some problems with rendering kannada on
unicode(some things like arkavottu will not work? ), also the other
issue being that we need someone to support Nudi continuously as
Fedora,Ubuntu,Debian etc keep releasing newer versions right?

Please do let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Vinay.

Vinay Sreenivasa