[FSUG-Bangalore] Demolition of Chennai Conspiracy Theory (Was: Fwd: [Fsf-friends] Comrades’ new-found love with IT)

Vikram Vincent vincentvikram at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 10:31:28 IST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Vikram Vincent <vincentvikram at gmail.com>
Date: 2009/1/5
Subject: Re: [Fsf-friends] Comrades' new-found love with IT
To: "V. Sasi Kumar" <sasi.fsf at gmail.com>
Cc: fsf-friends <fsf-friends at mm.gnu.org.in>

2009/1/5 V. Sasi Kumar <sasi.fsf at gmail.com>:
> On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 21:38 +0530, Vikram Vincent wrote:
>> Let me try to sketch out a possibility you may not have thought about...
>
>> <possibility>
>> Some youth who were inspired by the ideals of free software and
>> FSF/FSFI wanted to contribute their efforts to building the free
>> software movement in TN. They were not aware about FSFI's policy on
>> local chapters(I can safely say that not many knew that until
>> recently) and did not know that they would have stones thrown at them
>> for using the FSFI logo and also branded as "misguided activists of a
>> political party". They invited people who they felt would support the
>> cause of free software. Due to being extremely busy in organising such
>> a program they were not able/forgot to send a mail to the required
>> lists.
>> Then certain people on this list, instead of trying to guide these
>> youth, started throwing stones at them. Youth do not want to be beaten
>> with stones and hence do not reply to FSFI's mail.
>> </possibility>
>> Sasi Sir,
>> In your wisdom please see if such a situation is even remotely possible.
>
> Thank you for presenting another possible scenario. But this still
> leaves me with several doubts. They knew of the existence of FSFI,
> enough to use the logo. The minimum they could have done was to write to
> any of the FSFI mailing lists to inform FSFI about their intentions.
> They did not do so. FSFI wrote to the email id given in their website to
> ask about the people who were organising the conference. There was no
> response. If someone wants to condone these things, they will have to
> admit that these people were very naive and ignorant. But the contents
> of the newsletter they had put up on their website showed that they were
> not all that ignorant about Free Software or FSF.
>
> Dear Vikram,
>
> I don't think I am a very wise person. There is too much to understand
> about life for most people to become really wise in their lifetime. In
> my limited wisdom and intelligence, I think the scenario you have
> described is possible, but very highly improbable.

The fact that you have admitted that this is a possible situation is
sufficient.  In a court of law, if there is room for doubt then an
entity cannot be condemned and thus unless the situation I have
sketched out is disproved beyond reasonable doubt the "Chennai
conspiracy theory" stands demolished.
--
Vikram Vincent
+919448810822