[FSUG-Bangalore] Embedded Linux

Aanjhan R aanjhan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 00:56:23 IST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 7:53 AM, Anoop Krishnan G
<anoopkrishnang at yahoo.in> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can any one help me with embedded linux .  I want to run LINUX based rtos in
> PIC microcontroller , specifically DSPIC30F2012-301/SP , can any one help me
> with this.

First, looking at the data sheet of the controller it is a 16 bit
system. I am not saying Linux cannot be run on 16 bit systems but its
better to look for other rtos if needed.

Secondly, it seems to have 2 KB of onchip RAM and 24 KB on flash. Well
the comments are obvious :-)

Lastly I am pretty curious why you would need a OS on such a
controller? If it is badly needed you might have to look for really
tiny RTOSes. Another option could be have a better controller attached
to the system and run the RTOS on it (This will be the master) and you
can interface this controller to it. This way you can design several
other peripherals also. If this is not the intention then you might
want to have a look at ARM based boards or even ATMEL AVR systems.

HTH.

Thanks and Regards,
Aanjhan