[FSUG-Bangalore] ILUG Cochin Meeting on Sunday, February 22

Sreenadh H sreenadh1987 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 10:10:54 IST 2009

Warm Greetings To The Free Software Community,

ILUG Cochin (www.ilug-cochin.org) is holding its regular meeting for
this month on Sunday, 22th February 2009 (4th Sunday of every month).

The Details are as follows

Date : 22/02/2009, Sunday
Time : 2pm - 5:30pm
Venue :
Internet Club
IInd Floor, AMI Trust Bldg,
Broadway Enclave
Broadway,
Kochi-682031
i.e.
Behind Allappat Super Shoppe,
On top of SBT Treasury wing,

Technical Presentations
1. Command Line Applications and Shell Scripting
2. Learning Programming with Python.

A Map showing the venue is available at :

http://www.ilug-cochin.org/content/view/31/

Feel Free to call the numbers below
for any further information
Tel:+91 9995717112 ( Coordinator )
Tel:+91 484 2374862 ( Venue )
Tel:+91 484 4025077 ( Venue )

Details ::

Introduction to Free Software and GNU Movement.
Discussion on Free Software Licenses, Open Source Software.

We start of with our regular discussion on Free Software and related topics.
This is important for new users.

Technical presentation 1 : Command Line Applications & Shell Scripting

We continue our initiative of grooming teachers to teach Free Software
effectively in
Schools. This month also we have planned sessions that would help
teachers in this regard.

The media has also been supporting our campaign for bringing teachers
closer to the Free Software Community.
http://www.hindu.com/2008/12/26/stories/2008122650810200.htm
http://www.hindu.com/2009/01/23/stories/2009012357890200.htm
http://www.hindu.com/2009/02/12/stories/2009021250610200.htm

Last month we had some presentations on the command line Interface and
its possibilities. This month we continue this by teaching few command line
based applications
like Mplayer (www.mplayerhq.hu). We will also talk about automating  command
line prompt
based activities using Shell scripting.

Technical Session 2 : Learning programming with Python. www.python.org

Python is one of the most versatile languages of the modern era. This
has mainly due to the vast collection of modules built by the community.
Python has
been used in situations ranging from real time applications to simulation
programs.

 From the website ""Python is a dynamic object-oriented programming language
that can be
used for many kinds of software development. It offers strong support for
integration with other languages and tools,  comes with extensive standard
libraries, and can be learned in a few days. Many Python programmers report
substantial productivity gains and feel the language encourages the
development of higher quality, more maintainable code.""

Python is one very useful language that has vast possibilities in the
field of education. Although programming is taught to students in the
curriculum, Python can
be taught as a full fledged programming language since its very easy to
learn the
basics.

We will touch upon the following basic elements with respect to the
second session :
- Programming Languages - What and How
- Python as a language
- Basic Python program
- Python Modules
- Python libraries and extensions
- Possibilities of teaching Python in Schools.

We will address the common difficulties faced by teachers
and provide guidelines for dealing with issues.

We expect a better turnout of teachers for this meeting.
We have already invited IT Coordinators of various schools.
All the members in Mailing List are also requested to spread
the word about this meeting among the teachers from all streams.
It may be worth to forward this mail to other lists as well.

Meeting posters are available at :
http://www.ilug-cochin.org/content/view/50/1/

We hope more people from the community will
make it to the meeting. This will enable a very exciting
interaction with the teachers and free software community.

We look forward to your participation for this exciting meeting!!!

Hoping to meet you all on Sunday

Thank You