[FSUG-Bangalore] Would this constitute as FUD

ശ്യാം കാരനാട്ട് | shyam karanattu aeshyamae at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 08:46:08 IST 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 11:22 AM, Zenwalker <shailesh.zenwalk at gmail.com>wrote:

> What Jonathan said is half correct, just saying Free software doesnt mean
> that its Open Source. For example, the nVidia drivers are free software but
> not open sourced.

Distributable, binary only programmes are better called as Freeware and they
are not Free Software. We Indians can easily call Free Software as
Swathanthra Software..
I think we may not go with  the confusions of English, when our language has
a pretty good solution for it :)

Quoting more sentences from the article makes us enable to see the whole
picture
" It's primarily because of free and open software that
Internet<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Interview/J_Schwartz_CEO_Sun/articleshow/3504557.cms#>has
grown to this size. Sun's Java and Sun Solaris have played a key role
in
it. But free software may not necessarily be open source software. Free
software (as in free beer) may come with a zero price, but may have its
source code as closed. We are pushing for a world where all software is both
free and open source. "

That as a whole may give a wrong impression and if read the wrong way, it
may remove the total concept of Freedom from the word free in Free and Open
Source Software!
He could have been accurate by replacing "free software" with "freeware" .
But he is refering to the famous slogan about Free Software -"Free Software
is free as in free speech and not as in free beer" and so i dont think it
came intentionally rather than becoming less accurate.

Moreover its like, There can be Open Source software which are not Free
Software but i dont think the reverse exists.

Regards
Shyam K