[FSUG-Bangalore] Software Freedom Day at BMSCE

Madhusudan C.S madhusudancs at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 22:03:14 IST 2008

Hi all,
         Last year unfortunately we did not celebrate SFD at BMSCE even
though SFD - 2006 was a very big success. We still regret for that. So this
year we need to make it bigger than SFD - 2006. Since this is also 25th year
of GNU which I would like to call as "25th year of Software Freedom", this
years' SFD should be something really special. Also we came to know that the
SUN Club that exists in BMSCE, which is also pretty active, along with SUN
was planning for an SFD at BMSCE (Seems like BMSCE is the hot spot ;-) ).
They also approached us asking if we can do it together. Few of us, the
BMSLUG members went to SUN office to talk to SUN people about this. SUN
people want to collaborate with the Free and Open Source Community in
general not just SUN clubs or groups. Also at the moment doing 2 SFDs at
BMSCE is not a very good idea, because of the difficulty to get the
permission and others. In addition since collaboration is the need of the
hour for both groups to survive at BMSCE after we leave, since this is our
last year at BMSCE, I think we must do it together to make the FOSS
community at BMSCE bigger and the biggest possible in Bangalore at least. So
I think its a good idea to collaborate with SUN club at BMSCE and SUN
itself. Also I think SUN is willing to sponsor, so we can make use of the
resources. I kindly request all of you to give your valuable suggestions on
this.

As far as dates are concerned, since we have internals from 18th - 20th of
September, doing SFD on 20th September, the actual day on which it is
celebrated world wide is nearly impossible. Also FSUG-Bangalore is
celebrating this as a week long fest. So we are planning to do this on some
other day than 20th September. Seems like September 25th works for both
BMSLUG and SUN Club. So I think we must go with that date. What do you all
think?

--
Thanks and regards,
Madhusudan.C.S