[FSUG-Bangalore] Fwd: [Fsf-friends] Indian political party turns to FOSS

Aswin M. Sahadevan aswinms at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 06:49:12 IST 2008

> Adopting Free software is certainly a good step for a political party.
>  We need to hail BJP for this decision.

IMO, we must hail BJP but we should hail them as just another bunch of
users but not give them cult status. It should just be looked at as some
more users adopting free software and not as a political party. I mean,
we shouldn't be endorsing BJP at the end of the day. This might be
viewed by some as the FOSS community siding with the party and that is
not what free software needs. Free software should be independent of
such biases. Rival parties might then feel threatened to take up free
software if the FOSS community participates in such campaigns. The last
thing I'd like to hear is some guy saying "Free software? oh.. that BJP
initiative?". I might be wrong about this, feel free to correct me.

Regards,
-Aswin.