[FSUG-Bangalore] [Fsf-friends] Statement of FSF India board on recent incidents

Nagarjuna G. nagarjun at gnowledge.org
Sun Nov 30 17:56:03 IST 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 5:44 PM, Deepa Paul |ദീപാ പോള്‍
<deepa.paul at gmail.com> wrote:

>> <snip> As mentioned in the answer to an earlier question, FSF India is not a
>> mass movement and is not a democratic organisation.
>> </quote>
>
> I think the above sentence is little misleading.  First Part is OK.
> But I believe Democracy exists within its board.
>
> The process to select board does not need to be democratic completely.
> for eg: GPLv3 drafting will be failure  if it was decided completely
> by  users participating in drafting process. There was commitee ( not
> democratically elected ) to analyse and take the needed .
>
> But Democracy within the board is very important. It may be true that
> FSF India is not working on  electoral / Representational democracy.
> That is Ok.  But Democratic decision making in the board is important
> to make it as a democratic structure

I also think that the statement is too short and does not sound good.

It may be changed to something like:

FSF India is not meant to lead a mass movement, but it may support a
mass movement, or its members may join or lead such mass movements.
The members of the board are selected from the among the leads from
within the free software community of India,  and the selected board
of directors members work democratically.

'not democratic' does not sound good.   We can make an amendment to
the FAQ after hearing some more constructive criticism.

Nagarjuna