[FSUG-Bangalore] Todays event : Reminder : M.G Road :GandhiStatue : 4.30 p.m : Awareness on VTU-M$ tie up

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 10:49:48 IST 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 8:40 AM, Senthil Sundaram (sensunda)
<sensunda at cisco.com> wrote:

>> 30, 2008 at 7:37 AM, . we all participated in protest yesterday  :-)
>>
>> Hope you had a good sleep :-)
>>

> I did have a good sleep ;) Sometimes I catch up with mail early.
>
> It was a awareness campaign on the replacements (not a protest - I mean
> lets say awareness campaign - so that new folks feel they lack awareness
> - rather than feeling we are protesters - it will be easy for some to go
> from awareness to protest  )
>
> I guess it was a good programme yesterday for free software ...we have
> to concentrate on the long term aspects...please do write on what we
> could do better..please make this a community report on what you thought
> is good and bad..
>
> We had many people saying "NO TO M$-VTU" Lock In. the nice thing was we
> were able to have some new people
> From colleges : both lecturers and students ..a good representation from
> all sections of civil socitey
>

> 0) we started with a 1 minute silence for all the tragedy in bombay
> 1) Lecturers : RVCE, Chirst , CMRIT ( one new college) ,
> 2) Students :  christ , Amrita eng college , bms-it, ait participated
> 3) We had research scholars from IISc
> 4) We had Dr Anja from IT for Change
> 5) We had a good number of programmers and people from the [proprietary]
> software industry - I think many companies were repesented ;)
> 6) the children from the slum computing center , wanted to make this a
> day out, to see what their teachers were upto..and sang a nice little
> song to end the program - a song which means "we are building the dreams
> for a new future" - they planned a visit to cubbon park, got late and
> messed up
> 7) some students from bmsit came - but didn't like the 'street mode' -
> we explained to them why its important to take streets at times
> 8) a good amount of material - press notes , fliers were in kannada this
> time - this is important - thanks to the suggestion of sri ramadoss
> 9) we also had some t.v channels covering it this time apart from the
> press..i do know the press people who came - please update
> 10) Dr Vijoo Krishnan, Head of Political Science .
> 11) Dr chaterjee - a scientist with Astro Physics
> 12) Parth from NRCFOSS also helped with the material.
> 13) Anivar from SMC

Please count me as a member of this list & volunteer of
FSUG-Bangalore.  We all have various identities. and  linked with
various groups. Since the protest was in the banner of FSUG-Bangalore,
i dont have any problem to relate with it.
And I dont think i have to carry SMC identity wherever i go. SMC is a
developer collective with More than 70 Developers and 300+ members.

I also think we dont need to count the names. All names listed here is
not greater than the spirit shown by chldren in the protest  . The
free software spirit matters!!! lets keep it up.

Congrats to all who made yesterdays event a success.

Do we have any press reports? If yes Please link

> 14) Renuka lecturer from RVCE
> 12) The student fedaration of india also had lent its support and said
> that it will take the issue of free software

Great! SFI had a national policy adopting Free Software in Education.
we need to help them to protest against M$ VTU vendor Lock in

Anivar
--
Any responsible politician should be encouraging a home grown Free
Software industry because it creates the basis for future jobs.