[FSUG-Bangalore] Free Software Alternatives - List

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 05:59:34 IST 2008

2008/11/24 Parthan SR <parth.technofreak at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Following Renuka's mail regarding the Free Software alternatives for
> academic softwares, I thought of making a comprehensive list in the
> wiki. Please feel free to add things to relevant sections, here -
> http://bangalore.gnu.org.in/index.php/FSUG-Bangalore:Free_Software_Alternatives

"The word alternative is a bit problematic here. Free software is not
an alternative for Proprietary software. Freedom is the concern here.
There is no alternative for Freedom too.  But there are alternative
options among free softwares. But while referring proprietary
softwares, the term must be 'free software replacement'."

http://lists.sarovar.org/pipermail/plus-discuss/2007-January/000628.html

--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
(as seen on /.)