[FSUG-Bangalore] FSF should distance itself from undemocratic, illegal, immoral and unjustifiable acts of protest.

naveen mudunuru naveenmudunuru at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 09:24:17 IST 2008

Dear All,

Have been looking at all the discussion on what happened at Cochin, I have
some questions as i was not present at the venue.

Many of the protesters have been raising this point time and again that the
organisers had no clue on what Free Software is? agreed than what did you
all the intellectual lot of free software activists, evangelists do there at
the venue to educate them?

with my association to the free software moment. i have seen most of the
free software activists, evangelists either replying to mails/discussions or
telling stories about various issues on blogs and sending links to these
lists.

but to remind in reality  people at large to be educated about free software
and freedom are not in these lists. only people who already realised the
necessary of freedom are here. this is reality. your posts blogs and
intellectual taught are from there reach.

so when the organisers managed to get so many participants why was confusion
created by a protest instead of an educating campaign against Novell when
majority of you were speakers of the various sessions. go work with people,
gather them, educate them clarify things to them. they themselves will join
hands in all your protests.

if the principle organisers of the "protest" even  had clue of working with
people at large  would not have taught of protest instead would have used
the opportunity to put the glory of "Freedom above there individual
popularity and personal grudges" .

and why is this fear of hijacking, how can some hijack a moment. how can a
peoples moment ever get hijacked. i am seriously thinking of consulting a
language expert to know what "HIJACK" actually means but before that i would
like to hear from all those who alleged CPI(M) of hijack attempt what they
meant by "HIJACK".

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:35 PM, justin joseph
<justinjoseph007 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Nagarjuna G. <nagarjun at gnowledge.org>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 2:40 PM, haynes davis <haynesdavis at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> People
> Anivar
> protester.

> things
> india
> >>
> >> to add some more
> >>
> >> 1.) http://www.mail-archive.com/fsf-friends@mm.gnu.org.in/msg00704.html
> >>

> > Here Sasi clarified that what his intentions are.  what is the double
> > speak in the above message.
>
> It depends on how one perceives it, or how one would analyze it, or
> how one would *like* to see it.
> But to suggest some thing first and then give a different version of
> ones understanding can be
> *generally* .  In this particular case, I personally can see this as
> deliberate ambiguity.  But like I
> mentioned I do agree that It depends on how one see it, or how one
> would analyze it, or how one
> would *like* to see it....
>
> Off course people can *clarify*.  But what Sasi kumar has said in this
> post:
>
> http://mm.gnu.org.in/pipermail/fsf-friends/2008-September/005462.html
>
> and here :
>
> http://mm.gnu.org.in/pipermail/fsf-friends/2008-September/005468.html
>
> does not do justice to the word "clarify".  To me it still appears
> double speak.  If Sasi kumar
> had mentioned in the second post that he is posting on the basis of
> clarifications he sought or
> was given from where ever, I would have seen it as him clarifying himself.
>
> I am ready to change my opinion if convinced the other way.
>

> >> 2.) http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?no_d2=1&sid=08/11/17/0120203
> >>

> > James did a mistake, he sent his apologies, and  he is not a
> > spokesperson of FSFI.  FSFI does not endorse what James wrote.
>
> As far as I can remember, James did not *apologize*.  He *clarified*
> saying he made a mistake.
>
> But I *might* be wrong here, because like many here, I merely
> volunteer my time towards some
> of the things mentioned here:  http://www.fsf.org/volunteer/
> sometimes(mostly the case :-) ) spending money out
> of my pocket  and as this money comes from my full time job which
> takes a lot of my time I might have missed some
> posts from James where he send his apologies.  If I were a payed
> employee, I am sure I would have been more
> carefull while using my official id's.
>
> Were little sad to see the loads of negative comments at slashdot
> against the Novel campaign and I saw that
> most of them were centered around the methodology used.
>

> > Would it be OK if i take your views expressed in these emails as that
> > of CPIM?  If I do so that would be a mistake.
>
> I think it would be OK if the views came from foobar at cpim.org, since
> its not the case
> it is not OK.

> [...]

regards
naveen
Be Free, Speak Free, Work Free.
Advocate "FREE SOFTWARE",
FREE as in FREE SPEECH, not as in FREE BEER