[FSUG-Bangalore] Time for a Change

Ravi Shanker raviscn at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 12:21:58 IST 2008

"its good not to mix  up a Political Party Propoganda with the Free
Software Movements Ideals. There is nothing political about Free
Software"

I just have few lines on above quote; I'm not in a position to comment
any of the people who are on the board.

The kind of work we need to do for bringing more people under the
wings of free software and the fight we need to do against the
proprietary S/w and endorsing companies is having political nature.
These companies and MNCs are leveraging the political influence for
forwarding their interests. It would be good to think how Intellectual
properties rights, copyright laws take space in this world and what
are the methods these companies following for protecting their
comercial/ capital interests. It would be also thought provoking to
think on the politics [of apolitics] in similar streams also. Why NDA
govt put medical patent on product instead of process [Which India was
following from the time of independence]; who influenced them? What
are the adverse effects?

We can provide a handful of subjects to show the politics of apolitics
and the need of proper politics for countering such tendencies. By the
way the activities that are doing by some of board members which are
mentioned here show the political nature of the work.

"It would be good to know the kind of right from advocacy to meeting
the National Policy
Makers on the patents issues. I dont know where you get these ideas
that the FSF Community in India isnt doing a good job. They might have
not been vocal in the recent past, thats because of the much running
around they are doing for the patents troll, meeting officials from
the PMO."

It will be highly unrealistic to think or portray other way around.

Thanks,
Ravi