[FSUG-Bangalore] Is civil disobedience required for Free Software Movement

Shashi connect2shashi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 20:20:21 IST 2008

Civil disobedience, I think is most effective if it is taken up by the
majority of the group to which the protesters belong, i.e the we are
talking about the whole world being the group! FSM still has to make a
looot of progress in creating awareness among people and doing that
convincingly enough for them to join the movement then civil
disobedience WILL be unstoppable by the authorities unless they're
against the people.

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Parthan SR <parth.technofreak at gmail.com> wrote:
> renuka prasad wrote:
>> Want to hear from you all about the subject mentioned above
>>
>> This request is  not for discussions about any particular event or any
>> incidents that have or are taking place , please avpid any kind of
>> cross references , please put your own thought
>>
>> More interested  to know what software freedom fighters think about
>> this , If you are a software freedom fighter believing in the
>> ideologies of FSM initiated by RMS and can think about the topic
>> mentioned in the subject can help me in understanding about the same
> I feel Civil Disobedience as a whole has a lot of cultural context over
> it, not in the basic idea of the responsibility of citizens to act on
> their conscience even if it is against the country's law, but the way it
> has been expressed and made use of. Especially for Indians, the word
> brings one man into our immediate memory. What matters it is how we
> deliver Civil Disobedience and how effective it is. Mahatma Gandhi's
> Civil Disobedience movement was one of the most successful ones in world
> history but it took a lot of time, effort, lives and what not. On the
> whole, it is one of the best tools available against an authoritarian,
> suppressive rule but only if done in the right way.
>
> --
> ---
> With Regards,
>
> Parthan "technofreak"