[FSUG-Bangalore] FSF should distance itself from undemocratic, illegal, immoral and unjustifiable acts of protest.

haynes davis haynesdavis at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 14:40:18 IST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 1:32 PM, haynes davis <haynesdavis at gmail.com> wrote:

>> who are the  FSF people are doing the double speak?
>>
>> Second, please do not identify FSF and FSFI.  These are two different
>> sister organizations.
>>

> i referred to fsf only in Indian context, ie. fsf india. Sorry for the
> confusion.
>
> Some people took part in the protest say Novell issue was due to the
> ignorance of organizers, while some say the organizers concealed it. People
> like Arun etc were at the conference, while some where protesting. Anivar
> Aravind, Member FSF was a speaker at the conference and also a protester.
>
> http://nfm2008.atps.in/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/speakers.html
>

>  And also regarding cpim hijack issue. Why dont fsf india make the things
> clear. Do fsf india support those rumors?  If not, why does not fsf india
> condemn such news, at least to show some gratitude towards cpim which
> supports our cause?

to add some more

1.) http://www.mail-archive.com/fsf-friends@mm.gnu.org.in/msg00704.html

I am writing this mail since my earlier mail is being interpreted to
mean that the CPI(M) is trying to sabotage the Free Software Movement in
the country. That was not at all what I meant. Since I wrote it in a
hurry as I am on the verge of leaving on a rather longish journey. I
don't think a large party like the CPM would try to capture a small
organisation like FSF India. But the convention has several known CPM
leaders (such as Dr. Debesh Das) and CPM supporters (such as Sri N.
Ram). So it would appear that the people who are doing this have a CPM
background. Why they would want to create such a problem, god only
knows. I am sure the top brass in the party would never knowingly permit
such activities. I am sorry if I sounded otherwise.

Best
--
V. Sasi Kumar
Free Software Foundation of India

*
*
2.)* http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?no_d2=1&sid=08/11/17/0120203*

James Mathew <james at gnu.org.in> writes *"This is an interesting story from
Kerala, India, where the ruling Communist Party organized a national
conference in its efforts to hijack the Free Software Movement, which has
enviable roots in the state. They got Novell to sponsor it. On the second
day of the conference, a few free software activists who displayed posters
against Novell were manhandled by the organizers and
police<http://playingwithsid.blogspot.com/2008/11/boycott-novell-protesters-man-handled.html>—
typical of what is expected from them. Most of the snaps taken during
the
scuffle were forcefully deleted by the organizers, after seizing the
protesters' mobile phones. Still they couldn't delete all.

*

3.) what did arun do in his capacity as FSF Secretary to  dissolve the
situation during the conference. Was he organizing the protest? Was the
protest with the knowledge of FSF india?

4.) was anivar representing FSF?

Regards,
Haynes.