[FSUG-Bangalore] [Fsf-friends] Boycott Novell Protesters Man-handled at National Conference on Free Software 2008

haynes davis haynesdavis at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 15:42:13 IST 2008

> Your comments naming a person, and then accusing of
> a) copyrighting the ... protest for himself.
> b) he was using the issue to fulfill his concealed agenda
> is a personal attack.

it is not an accusation..its what all saw in kochi.
Anivars protest was undemocratic,illegal, immoral and unjustifiable. free
software community has done protest many times before. Was it similar. Here
we saw the one among organizer becoming the protester.....challenging that
10 posters will pasted if one is removed.  he has all the right to
protest... in democratic way. Who has given given him the authority to put
posters on top of  others posters. By that he wanted to interrupt and
sabotage the conference. He did have no consideration for the good work 100s
of teachers and student in cusat have done for free software community. He
wanted to ridicule the contribution of the conference for our free software
community. His protest violated the freedom of others. His whole protest was
against the concept of freedom. I say these because he had many other ways
to protest as we all have done before. His aim was not to correct the
ignorance of organizers... but to protest.

> Shall we agree to disagree on this? I think respecting people and
> respecting the greater cause are indivisible, possible and necessary.
>
> Since I am one of the 'common people' in the group, I could be wrong. I
> cannot claim to understand the technical world.

Not only you.....all are the very common, especially me. But that should not
make you not to respond.

> It is important to be true to oneself (as the old saying: and this above
> all, to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day,
> Thou canst not then be false to any man.),

now i feel i am really a 'common'  :)

> but do you really think that writing mails with courtesy, and having
> discussions with respect will hurt the freesoftware cause, or make you
> deceive yourself?

I may be talking with tough sound because of the seriousness of the issue,
not to disrespect any. I sternly believe such actions as that happened
yesterday will alienate ourself from others and such tendencies will have
to  be filtered out in future.

Regards,
Haynes.