[FSUG-Bangalore] slashdot article "Boycott Novell Protesters Manhandled In India"

Vikram Vincent vincentvikram at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 13:09:25 IST 2008

> James Mathew writes "This is an interesting story from Kerala, India,
> where the ruling Communist Party organized a national conference in
> its efforts to hijack the Free Software Movement, which has enviable
> roots in the state. They got Novell to sponsor it. On the second day
> of the conference, a few free software activists who displayed posters
> against Novell were manhandled by the organizers and police — typical
> of what is expected from them. Most of the snaps taken during the
> scuffle were forcefully deleted by the organizers, after seizing the
> protesters' mobile phones. Still they couldn't delete all. Here is
> another low-by-blow account."

It seems that "hijacking" is such a catchy phrase nowadays.

   - Hijacking means to take over by force.Hijacking may refer to: In
   property:* Aircraft hijacking or 'skyjacking'* Carjacking* Credit card
   hijacking en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijack<http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&start=10&oi=define&ei=whkhSb7cIYau6wOW4vCgCA&sig2=4c_LgOJSVMymunOQpjcd9g&q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijack&usg=AFQjCNFlW5Xts1_MrmahbfEfEGfMRle2_w>

HOW the hell can anyone hijack a peoples' movement?
I saw that James Mathew used his gnu.org.in id to post this slashdot
message.
Why is FSF-India promoting this "hijack" theory everywhere?
I remember seeing the important people of FSF-India sharing the dais with
the Left, holding important positions in the Left Govt. in Kerala, using the
Left whenever some help is needed and then this dual standards...
FSF-India cannot even get an appointment with a Minister without the help of
the Left.
It was the Left backed school teachers' assn which promoted free software in
Kerala.
It was because of the Left that patents in software were not adopted in
Parliament...
What does FSF-India have to say for itself?