[FSUG-Bangalore] weighted queues

Senthil Sundaram (sensunda) sensunda at cisco.com
Thu Nov 13 15:46:26 IST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: fsug-bangalore-bounces at mm.gnu.org.in
[mailto:fsug-bangalore-bounces at mm.gnu.org.in] On Behalf Of Anivar
Aravind
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 3:31 PM
To: Free Software Users Group - Bangalore
Cc: Gilesh M P
Subject: Re: [FSUG-Bangalore] weighted queues

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Senthil Sundaram (sensunda)
<sensunda at cisco.com> wrote:

So automatically IISc will get that slot

>>> so do we take it as confirmed and proceed with other work..there was
a initial request..however I didn't proceed as I >>> didn't know the
situation of RMS schedule

> We would like to add the following weights to this  element in the
> queue "Talk at IISc" :
>   Weight 1 : anivar said its a good topic

I said it in the context of Say No to software Patent Campaign of
FSUG-Bangalore.

>>> sorry !!! I thought otherwise .. But anyway we have your support..by
the FIFO queue now ;)

>    Weight 2 : from prof k gopinath from IISc : "I think a big issue
> now in free software is network/web services and GPL (often called the

> "ASP loophole"). The Affero GPLv3 addresses this issue. Since this is
> not well known, I think asking him to talk about this as well as
> patents/copyrights/... will be useful."

Freedom of Network services  ( including AGPLv3, works of groups like
autonomo.us etc ) seems to be a very good topic.. I hope RMS will cover
Patent issues in other talks also. (he used to address contemporary
issues in most of his talks).  Are they (IISc)planning to include this
as a part of ongoing centenary celebrations or as a separate event? .  I
think centenary celebrations is happening on same dates. Dont forget to
communicate FSUG-Bangalore as a partner for this event. It will be good
if IISc can provide accommodation for RMS in Bangalore, because it is
centrally located

>> will check on this from the students a

I cc'd Gilesh, an active free software supporter from IISc. senthil
please ask the free software supporters you know from IISc to join in
this list

>>> sure have been asking folks to join the list..whom ever I know.. We
should also gather all other supporters in iisc..
>>> why don't u send a mail on fsug - specifically for this - so that we
can get in touch with folks we don't know

BMSLUG is completely a student driven initiative (Unlike other campuses
in Bangalore) and very committed towards the cause of freedom.
Accepting their request is just a way to recognize it.
Anyway they couldn't make it this time.

>>> yes bms is an inpsiration ..

>>> I feel as Dr.Nagarjuna suggested it would be appropriate to have
"FSUG and IISC [ whichever dept ] to make it clear.