[FSUG-Bangalore] weighted queues

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 15:31:21 IST 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Senthil Sundaram (sensunda)
<sensunda at cisco.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I saw that a queue has been made for RMS visit requests. Thats  logical and
> algorithimic.
>
> http://bangalore.gnu.org.in/index.php/Events:RMS_visit_to_Bangalore#Queue
>
> However I would like to give a critical review comment on the design of the
> queue ;)  . The queue looks like it is FIFO ( first in first out). But FIFO
> doesnt always work.
> At times we need weighted queues for the effective functioning of the
> system.
>
>  The current queue : "talk in  BMS College of Engineering <---talk in
> IISc/IIM <----Interaction with Kannada Bloggers (would be clubbed with other
> confirmed event) "

Please cancel BMS event. I Called Santhosh Vattom from BMS. he said
their principle  not give them permission because of time is too close
to exams. Students from BMSLug will participate in other 2 events and
also willing to volunteer for Organising  RMS programs in bangalore

So automatically IISc will get that slot

> We would like to add the following weights to this  element in the queue
> "Talk at IISc" :
>   Weight 1 : anivar said its a good topic

I said it in the context of Say No to software Patent Campaign of
FSUG-Bangalore.

>    Weight 2 : from prof k gopinath from IISc : "I think a big issue now in
> free software is network/web services and GPL (often called the "ASP
> loophole"). The Affero GPLv3 addresses this issue. Since this is not well
> known, I think asking him to talk about this as well as
> patents/copyrights/... will be useful."

Freedom of Network services  ( including AGPLv3, works of groups like
autonomo.us etc ) seems to be a very good topic.. I hope RMS will
cover Patent issues in other talks also. (he used to address
contemporary issues in most of his talks).  Are they (IISc)planning to
include this as a part of ongoing centenary celebrations or as a
separate event? .  I think centenary celebrations is happening on same
dates. Dont forget to communicate FSUG-Bangalore as a partner for this
event. It will be good if IISc can provide accommodation for RMS in
Bangalore, because it is centrally located

I cc'd Gilesh, an active free software supporter from IISc. senthil
please ask the free software supporters you know from IISc to join in
this list

>   Weight 3 : harish k singh : Can you look at the article at
> http://osindia.blogspot.com/2008/11/global-patent-troll-comes-to-india.html.
> The patents subsidized by our belowed govt is now in the hands of these
> trolls. Maybe we need to address these issues when the meeting in IISc
> happens next month.Incidently, this company's major investor is none other
> than microsoft. See
> http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/05/12/080512fa_fact_gladwell?currentPage=1.
>
> thanks
> Senthil
>
> simply put :  "A few of us feel IISc is more important - as its a institute
> of national importance - and too much patenting is going on and we need RMS
> there!!!"

Certainly agree that IISc  is important. But the great efforts of BMS
students in spreading the cause of free software is equally important.
BMSLUG is completely a student driven initiative (Unlike other
campuses in Bangalore) and very committed towards the cause of
freedom.  Accepting their request is just a way to recognize it.
Anyway they couldn't make it this time.

Anivar Aravind

--
Any responsible politician should be encouraging a home grown Free
Software industry because it creates the basis for future jobs.