[FSUG-Bangalore] FSF-CMMACS, Bangalore Chapter

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 19:28:16 IST 2008

2008/3/16, Senthil Sundaram (sensunda) <sensunda at cisco.com>:
> Hello all,
>
> sorry for cross postings!
>
> Here at C-MMACS we (few FSF fans!) wanna start a chapter of FSF.
> Basically we want to provide a forum for similar people to share  ideas
> or support each other.
>
> I would like to hear from you about this, especially on how to start a
> FSF forum and related issues.
>
> May as a beginning we would like to host an inaugural function with few
> invited talks on following each of 1/2 - 1 hr duration.
>
> 1. philosophy of fsf, history etc.
> 2. open source computing in  High performance computing using Linux
> Clusters (Beowulf's), 3. oss in earth-sciences (GMT, GRASS ...).
> 4. oss text processing (Tex history and usage) 5. GNU Scientific library
> usage and applications etc.

Free Software and Open Source are two philosophies in the same
community and we work together in many cases, but still different
fundamentaly. Even though we would love to have evryone follow Free
Software philosophy it is upto every individual to decide which
philosophy one is a part of. But when you use Free Software name don't
mix open source in it. If you wanted, you could have another banner
say FOSS or FLOSS which includes both philosophies. Or use Free
Software instead of Open Source.

See this for more http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍