[FSUG-Bangalore] IEEE and Free Software

Senthil Sundaram (sensunda) sensunda at cisco.com
Fri Jul 4 15:30:18 IST 2008

Dear Mr. MM Babu Narayan,

It was a pleasure meeting you yesterday with our team .  This is a
tentaive list of  technical folks who can work on various tutorials

These tutorials are aimed at programmers in the industry and engineering
students .

This will aim at increasing the technical excellence of programmers  in
defining technolgies in free software in Bangalore.

We have consent from some more people  however they are from outside the
state. I hope their travel and stay can be taken care of. We will need
time to give you a confirmation on the folks from outstation.

Looking forward to working with you.

regards
Senthil

Python / Zope tutorial

Speaker Name Baiju M	 Organization	 ZeOmega Infotech Pvt. Ltd.

Type	 tutorial
Scope	 Technical	  . Currently Contributing to Zope project
http://foss.in/2007/register/speakers/talkdetailspub.php?talkid=432

Target Audience : Engineering College students /Programmer  who can
contribute back to Zope

Abstract	 This tutorial  will be teaching Python and  Zope . This
talk will cover :

- Zope , Python and Free software
- learning the basics - python
- learning the basics - zope
- how to get access to repository including legal matters
- How to report and fix bugs
- How to to make a proposal
- Development process

Pre-requisites	 : generic programming skills

Speaker Profile	 Baiju M is a Zope 3 core developer since 2006. He had
worked on eggification of Zope 3. Recently, he started writing a book
about Zope Component
Architecture:http://www.muthukadan.net/docs/zca.html

Previously he had worked with many other free software projects, you can
see some of them here: http://kpug.zwiki.org/BaijuMuthukadan . The
Swathanthra Malayalam Computing (i18n/l10n) project is started by him.
He also worked for FSF India (as a job) in 2002-2003. Recently he
mentored a student from Kerala for Zope Foundation as part of Google
Summer of Code. This project has successfully completed. The project aim
was to port Zope 3 packages to Python 2.5 Journal:
http://baijum81.livejournal.com/

LDAP based directory services - application developement tutorial

There is wide scope for creating application using LDAP based directory
services for user account management, email delivery, distribution
lists, and address ooks. It also includes built in tools for spam and
virus control, webmail, and fetching email..

Speakers : Abhas Abhinav and his team from Deeprootlinux

http://www.deeproot.co.in/

Organization	  http://www.deeproot.co.in/  .
Type	 tutorial
Scope	 Technical	  . Currently successful commercial application
- completely free software business

Target Audience : Engineering College students /Programmers interested
in developing applications on this

Abstract	 This tutorial  will be introducing LDAP  . This talk
will cover :

- LDAP introduction
- Understanding applications on LDAP
- Understanding existing applications
- Project ideas
- Understanding the existing code base and contributing to the same.

Pre-requisites : generic programming skills

Speaker Profile
Abhas Abhinav leads DeepRoot Linux, a Free Software Business he founded
seven years back. He believes that it is very possible to build an
ethical and profitable business by developing and servicing Free
Software exclusively. He sees no conflict between the freedom that you
provide your users and your ability to build a business on that.

Abhas started his excursions into technology about 20 years back on
PC-XTs and his interest and passion in computing has only grown
manifold. He picked up his most basic datacom and online skills
participating in BBSes at a young age during the pre-Internet days. Free
Software and GNU/Linux caught his fancy about 10 years back and he's
been a user, developer and advocate of Free Software ever since.

Gnu Linux : Animation technoloiges/ Service oriented architecture

speaker : Harish K singh , 3i Infotec

I'm can give a talk on Animation technologies and Service Oriented
Architecture. I recently gave a presentation on JavaFX at BOJUG
<http://bojug.wikispaces.com/page/diff/home/27234671>  which was held on
27th June. I can take this further with animation technology available
on JavaFX. I've covered client server technologies at BOJUG earlier.

I have long association with IEEE Bangalore, who introduced me to Unix
in '89 which is a subject nobody was offering at the time. This could be
a way of contributing to IEEE Bangalore chapter. Do keep me posted.

<details to be posted shortly>

 Understanding Gnu/Linux Networking  :

Speaker : Senthil S , Worked on various data networking technologies in
the industry for the last 9 years.

 http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-ipv6.html

The Gnu/Linux kernel supports many Layer three (L3) protocols, such as
AppleTalk, DECnet, and IPX, this tutorial  discusses the one that
dominates modern networking: IP. While IPv4 will be described in detail,
IPv6 will be only briefly mentioned as needed.

I will not spend much time on the theory behind these protocols, with
which you should be somewhat familiar, but I will describe the
implementation in Gnu/Linux. I will focus on aspects of the design that
are not obvious or that differ substantially from other operating
systems. I will also explain the main drawbacks of version 4 of the IP
protocol and show how IPv6 tries to address them.

Therefore, while there is both some background theory and some code

Prerequisite : I expect the reader to be familiar with the basic IP
protocol behavior.

 'Localisation of Free Software'.  Why? What? How? . Vikram Vincent.  Is
a free software faculy in Christ college

<details to be posted shortly>