[FSUG-Bangalore] free software - slum computer centre

Chandru chandru.in at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 23:51:24 IST 2008

Here are few suggestions I may give (I'm you would already know many of
these).  Some of these may not apply to non-programming courses.

   1. We must teach tasks not tools (teach word-processing not MS Word or
   oowriter).
   2. We must train them on multiple tools accomplishing same task with
   more emphasis on FOSS software.
   3. We must start training right from installation of necessary s/w not
   just using them.
   4. We should encourage learning and understanding command-line tools.
   Even on Windows these tools are sometimes useful to get the job done faster.
   5. *Piracy must be discouraged with all force possible.*  Students
   must also be made aware of its illegal aspects.  New computer users would
   only then be able to appreciate the true usefulness of Free and Open-Source
   Software.
   6. They must be encouraged to involve themselves in development of
   FOSS.  They can start with bug reports and move upward.

Just my 0.02p.

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:42 PM, Shibu C Varughese <shibucv at gmail.com>
wrote:

> hi ...all,
>
> We can go with words  like  ....     "itmission"
>
> Let's check what other say ... :)
> --
> Regards,
>
> Shibu C Varughese
> "Quality is truly a state of mind"

Chandra Sekar.S

e-mail: chandru.in at gmail.com
Blog: http://tuxychandru.blogspot.com/

How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a light bulb?

None. They just declare darkness the new standard.