[FSUG-Bangalore] report on Eben Moglen speech at Kannada bloggers

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Sat Dec 20 05:57:53 IST 2008

sreejith g.s wrote:
> *He also added that the w3c consortium is working on including audio and
> video files in HTML 5.0 in such a way that a user can use them using a
> browser without downloading any plug-ins. You would be able to include
> multimedia files just using HTML tags like <audio> and <video>. He
> emphasized that the major obstruction to this was not the difficulty in
> using or developing the technology, but the patents and the copyrights which
> were making it hard to include those new advancements. *

On my blog (in
http://www.digitalcitizen.info/2007/12/30/ogg-theoravorbis-as-default-for-video-scuttled-in-html5-spec-who-benefits/
if you'd care to read the discussion) I point out that the example and
suggestion of using those free codecs and container format were removed
from an HTML5 draft despite not being requirements to fully comply with
HTML5.  The then-proposed language never required implementers to
implement Ogg, Vorbis, or Theora but that language was removed on the
excuse of making some corporate implementers unhappy and being perceived
as required.  Ian Hickson said at the time, "We want a spec that
_everyone_ can implement.".  I don't see how this will ever come to pass
any more than it already has.  So long as that is a requirement, no
codecs dare be mentioned in any draft of any HTML spec.

> The major obstruction was the proprietary use of multi media codecs.Once
> codecs are available, it will revolutionize the way video is transmitted
> through the web. Then we don't need television as people will express
> content through multi media and everyone will be able to watch and listen to
> the content without any plug-ins. The free software and the new media is
> putting every one in the drivers seat from the position of mere spectators
> or users.*

This I'm interested in learning more about.  Is there a recording of
Moglen's talk I can hear?

I don't think it is quite that simple to get a lot of people into
democratic media.

Thanks for the summary.  If there's a recording, I'd really like to hear
it.  Perhaps someone could upload it to the Internet Archive at
http://www.archive.org/ and post a link to their uploads here.