[FSUG-Bangalore] Visit to the NGO Agni Raksha.

sreejith g.s sreejithgs at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 15:42:49 IST 2008

*Visit to the NGO Agni Raksha.*

I am new to this mailing list and except a few people in Kerala I don't know
many free software supporters in this group.
I am sharing our experience of visiting an NGO to create awareness among
them about free software. If any of this group are working with any such
efforts with any NGO's you can tell your experience so that we can benefit
from that.

Me and Nirmal went to visit the office of an NGO named Agni Raksha on
Saturday.
They handle the following issues:

1)poor people who are victims of fire accidents are given counseling and if
they had lost their job due to the accident,then they are taught some self
employment skills to make them self dependent.
2)young children from streets who are misguided and pushed into flesh trade
are rescued and given education,later they are taught self employment skills
to make them self dependent.

They contacted Nirmal when they heard about the work the free software
supporters are doing in the slum computer center.
They are starting computer classes for burned victims who are rehabitalized
by this NGO.

We started with the free software philosophy and introduction to free
software. After some time, they interrupted us and said they are not
interested in listening to the philosophy part. I realized that even though
our interest is in spreading the philosophy part most people are only
interested in using the technology for their own advantage.So we decided to
concentrate on the practical aspects.

The conversation went on like this:

NGO :we are planning to give computer education to these children, we'll
arrange for computers,study rooms and students. How can you help us?
Reply: Free software supporters can help you to setup the computers using
free softwares. We would be able to come and conduct classes on basic
computer skills and free software.

NGO : They need basic computer education and not Linux or free software:
Our Reply: We can teach them basic computer skills like word processing
using Open Office. Most word processors work the same way. Using free
software is cost effective and you have the freedom to share and
redistribute it.

NGO :How long will it take to learn this free software lessons and what is
the syllabus that will be taught

Reply:
We have prepared a syllabus for the slum computing center and showed it to
them. We also said we have the material and it would take some 3-4 months to
complete.
(they felt the syllabus was good)

NGO :If free software classes are held in our office then what will be the
timings of the classes and will it be on a daily basis, alternate days or in
the weekends and will the same person come till the syllabus is completed?
Reply:We won't be able to say exactly as people would be having their office
work during the day time,but however we will have to chart it out.

NGO :people who come to take classes must be able to mingle with these
students in a more friendly way. It is because their faces are badly
burnt,there are instances where even medical college students who visited
the office previously felt uncomfortable while giving them medical aid,so we
don't want amyone to hurt them again like that
Reply:our people have been working with slum dwellers from long time and
more over we to know their feelings

After this conversation, we felt that they are convinced and told us that
they will get back to us.

Some of the points we raised and they felt convinced:

1)The recent shift from windows to free software
We raised the point that IT and education sectors are shifting over to free
software. Colleges like Christ, Mount Carmel, BMS & so on have started using
it. In Kerala, the Government has asked all Government funded organizations
to use free software.

2)There is a myth that only weird programmers use free software. We pointed
out to them that free software is not only used by programmers, even the
poor and marginalized are using it.

3)Cost effectiveness - We raised the point that setting up a center using
free software will be cost effective as you have the freedom to make copies
and redistribute it.

Finally they told us that they need some time for the initial setup and when
everything is in place they will contact us.
We gave the contact details of Senthil and returned.

Sreejith