[FSUG-Bangalore] Document Freedom lives on

harish singh senqua at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 16 13:15:42 IST 2008

Hi Everyone,
Kudos to Arvind, Vincent and all participents in bringing much needed
attention to open document formats.

An analysis by Ditesh Kumar on the adoption of ODF in Asia and support by
national bodies worldwide is published on Asia Pacific Development
Information Programme website at http://www.apdip.net/apdipenote/18.pdf. The
Government of India's stand on ODF states

The Government of India strongly supports ODF, with the Ministry of
Information and Technology stating that: ...considering the huge potential
of eGovernance in the nation as well as the need to adopt open standards to
make our data systems more inter-operable and independent of any limiting
proprietary tools, we feel that ODF is a great technological leap and a big
boon to further propel IT right to India's grass root levels. I congratulate
this initiative of leading private and public organizations...

There have been other moves to adopt ODF in India:
• The Allahabad High Court of India made a policy decision to use ODF.
• The Election Commission of the Government of India is working on adopting
ODF using open source software.
• The government of Delhi moves to ODF-based office suites for cost reasons.
• The state of Kerala in India suggests the use of ODF in its draft IT
policy, stating that: Open standards such as Unicode and Open Document
Format and Open Architectures will be followed in e-governance projects to
avoid total dependence on select vendors.

On a related note, a BBC World documentary on FOSS and how poor countries
are using FOSS applications for development is hosted at
http://www.apdip.net/news/fossdoc

Best,
Harish Singh