[FSUG-Bangalore] Fwd: Need help (sorry for cross posting)

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Oct 13 06:04:36 IST 2006

Krishna Pagadala <krishnaact at yahoo.com> writes:
>  Hi All,
>    The following is an excerpt from the recent GPLv3 Conference in Bangalore.
>
>    "The simplest case it, I buy a thin client, lets say, and it's got
>    firmware on an IDE flash, I cannot take it out and put it in another
>    commodity hardware because they lock it down.  And they don't do simple
>    things like, the kernel only has drivers for your hardware.  They TPM
>    it, they put in a two dollar TPM chip on the board and they lock down
>    Free Software to their particular hardware."
>
> http://fsfeurope.org/projects/gplv3/bangalore-rms-transcript#freedom-and-thin-clients
>
> Does anybody know more about this? Does anybody know the person who asked
> this question? Can people please find out and let me know?

FYI, there might be mistakes in the transcription of the questions from the
audience.  Sometimes it was hard to hear the audience.  The audio recording
is the best source if you have to be sure.

(This is why I didn't include anyone's name - I don't want to attach a
 misquote to anyone.)

--
Ciarán O'Riordan __________________ \ http://fsfeurope.org/projects/gplv3
http://ciaran.compsoc.com/ _________ \  GPLv3 and other work supported by