[OT] India Together Fund raiser

Rakesh 'arky' Ambati rakesh_ambati@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Mar 25 16:14:08 IST 2006

FYI

Cheers

--arky

# # #
Ashwin Mahesh, Subramaniam Vincent
The Editors
India Together
Bangalore - 560076

Re : Support 'The news that matters.'
Dt : 23 March 2006

(~850 words; reading time: 5 minutes)

Dear India Together reader,

Twice a year, we write to our e-newsletter subscribers
asking for their
financial support. India Together continues to make
rapid strides in its
coverage of public interest issues year to year. With
our exclusive focus on
'development', we record and cover India in a way no
other publication does.
Much of this would not have been possible without the
nearly 400 readers have
supported us over the last two and half years.
(****Our apologies to those of
you who made a contribution within the last 12 months,
and have received this
letter; please ignore it.****)

This March-April 2006, it's that time of the year
again. Last year, we raised
nearly 400,000 rupees through your annual
contributions. But to cover all costs
at India Together at market rates, however, we would
have needed to raise close
to a million rupees (ten lakhs). Bridging this gap is
crucial for us to continue
to bring you more and more of the informed and
experienced writing that you see
every day. For this, we need your help.

If you've been planning to support India Together, but
haven't yet done so, now
is the time. Please do your part in keeping relevant
journalism and independent
publishing on India Together viable.
http://indiatogether.org/support/contribute.htm

To continue reading this letter online, click here.
http://indiatogether.org/support/2006-7/ltr-marapr06.htm

Recent milestones
=================

In the six months since our last fundraiser, some of
our regular reporters and
writers have been awarded/recognized for their work.
Two regular writers, M
Suchitra and Deepa A, are now finalists in the
Developing Asia Journalism Awards
2006 (Manila), for their recent articles at India
Together. The winners will be
picked in April. Jaideep Hardikar continues to be
recognised - he won the 2005 S
R Nanekar Memorial Trust Journalism award for his
reporting on the Vidarbha
agricultural crisis on India Together and other
publications. M Suchitra of Quest
Features received the 2005 Appan Menon Memorial Award
for a study on Special
Economic Zones. Shree Padre continues to be recognised
for environmental
reporting, most recently by The Telegraph as well as
the Government of
Karnataka.

India Together is seeing sustained increase in online
visitorship month to month
as well as for our free e-newsletter subscribership.
For the last three
months of Dec.05 - Feb.06, over 65,000 unique internet
visitors were logged on
the site each month. Newsletter subscription is
growing at 30% annually and we are
currently sending it to nearly 5000 email addresses.

None of all this would have been possible without your
support.

Why you need to support us
===========================

Our goal is to find a 1000 readers to contribute at
least Rs.1000 or more each
year to voluntarily support India Together. This will
help us continue to bring
you 'the news that matters' as well as expand our
reporting. You hold the key to
this.

Reader support for public-interest journalism extends
gains directly to you as
well as the publishers. The most direct benefit is
that you will get more and
better of what you already like at India Together:
public affairs news stories,
expert insights, advocacy by practitioners, and
informed commentary - all in
one broad-based magazine.

Your support also means that we will be able to move
towards paying our regular
writers more reasonable rates of Rs.2000-3000 per
article, and likewise for
photographers and other artists. We know many talented
journalists who will be
thrilled to bring you the best, but they need your
support.

Just as important, viability through direct reader
payments will ensure that we
will not have to rely on commercial advertising, or at
least not very much. We
will be able to continue to bring you all of the
material you like at India
Together clutter-free. Connected to this, we will
remain focussed on covering
the key development and public interest issues of our
times.

A gift in return for your support
=================================

In return for your support, you will get more and
better of what you already
like at India Together, plus The Digital Edition for
your offline reading
convenience. Learn about more about our print-friendly
digital PDF edition
here.
http://www.indiatogether.org/diged/

How to contribute
=================

Through the online transactions gateway CC Avenue, you
can make your
contribution with a few quick clicks. The link below
works for all major
international and domestic credit and debit cards.
http://indiatogether.org/support/contribute.htm

We welcome rupee, US dollar or other foreign currency
cheques, should you
prefer to not use the online system. Please send your
contribution in favour of
'India Together' to either of the addresses listed at
the end of this letter.
Our HDFC bank account number is also available for
those of you who wish to
transfer funds electronically.

We look forward to your contribution before 30 April
2006. If you have more
questions about why your support matters, click below.
http://www.indiatogether.org/support/whyfund.htm

We're counting on you. With best wishes,

Subramaniam Vincent, Ashwin Mahesh
www.indiatogether.org
The news that matters.

====================== CONTRIBUTING BY CHEQUE
===========================

Please send cheques made out to "India Together" to
either address below.

IN INDIA

India Together
B3-404, South City
Arekere MICO Layout
Bangalore 560076

OUTSIDE INDIA

India Together
P.O. Box 4304
Ithaca, NY 14852-4304
USA

***NOTE: We can make our HDFC bank account number
available for those of you
***who wish to transfer funds electronically. Thank
you.
the subscription box
on the page. You will be prompted for email
confirmation to verify
your interest, and after that, the newsletters will be
on their way to
you regularly. Should you decide to unsubscribe from
our newsletter,
you may do so automatically as well at any time, by
clicking below.

http://indiatogether.org/cgi-bin/mojo/mojo.cgi?f=u&l=readers&e=rakesh_ambati@yahoo.com&p=6984

If your email client does not allow you to click on
the above line,
cut and paste it into your browser instead.