[fsug-bangalore] [tech] Re-setting Debian default python version

Abhas Abhinav abhas@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Feb 9 08:58:35 IST 2006

On 08:41, Wed 08 Feb 06, Rakesh 'arky' Ambati wrote:
> Am trying to have python2.4 runtime only on Debian
> Sid, The Debian's default Python version is currently
> v2.3. Does anyone know a __nice__ way of doing this
> without having to resort installing Debian default
> Python2.3 dependency package.

Well - since you're asking this question, I guess Sid does not have a
native python2.4 package and you don't want to use the current stable or
testing or unstable distributions.

Or is it that certain packages on Sid specify python2.3 as a dependency
and so you need to maintain both python2.3 *and* python2.4 on your
machine and you don't like that? In that case you can try making a dummy
package that "provides" python2.3. This will ensure that any package
that checks for python2.3 dependency sees it and installs just fine -
while it actually uses the python2.4 runtime.

Abhas.
--
i-take-charge at DeepRoot Linux
http://www.deeproot.co.in / +91 (80) 4112 4784 / 85