[FSUG-Bangalore] sources.list, anyone?

Sajith T S sajith@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Aug 15 12:40:14 IST 2006

Rakesh 'arky' Ambati wrote:

> I guess so, they would be have lot of bug fixes and
> updates. I suggest not to go to sid unless you are
> ready to face a lot of package transitions that are
> going now to meet the December 2006 release or until
> freeze. That means you need some bandwidth to get
> these packages regularly.

Did a dist-upgrade to testing, and now I have got rather broken X
fonts, a missing gnome panel and a lot of missing other software,
866 MB archives to be installed, and this:

     # apt-get dist-upgrade / apt-get -f install

     [...]

     866 upgraded, 318 newly installed, 55 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
     63 not fully installed or removed.
     Need to get 0B/683MB of archives.
     After unpacking 302MB of additional disk space will be used.
     Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
     Extracting templates from packages: 100%
     Preconfiguring packages ...
     xserver-xorg config warning: Migrating xserver-xfree86 debconf
         values to xserver-xorg.
     (Reading database ... 153139 files and directories currently
         installed.)
     Unpacking x11-common (from .../x11-common_1%3a7.0.22_i386.deb) ...
     dpkg: error processing
         /var/cache/apt/archives/x11-common_1%3a7.0.22_i386.deb
         (--unpack):
     trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/bin', which is also in package
        catdoc
        /var/cache/apt/archives/x11-common_1%3a7.0.22_i386.deb

So I used dpkg --force-overwrite to install such packages.  What do
people normally do with such errors?  Is there a place to look up such
things?

Thanks,
Sajith.
--