[Fsf-friends] Re: [FSUG-Bangalore] Which license should I use?

Anand Babu ab@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Aug 8 16:55:35 IST 2006

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 04:22:21PM +0530, Kushal Das wrote:
,----
| On Tuesday 08 August 2006 13:45, Laxminarayan G Kamath A wrote:
| > Kushal Das wrote:
| > >Lets say there is a package named XYZ.rpm which is in MPL. And my
| > >application, which is in GPL, is a shell script with the
| > >following line:
| > >
| > >rpm -ivh XYZ.rpm
| > >
| > >Then what ?
| >
| > depends on whether XYZ.rpm is supplied by u as part of your app ?
| > depends on whether "XYZ.rpm" string in the line "rpm -ivh XYZ.rpm"
| > came statically or was user supplied in some way?
| >

| My application is only the installer for those packages. But I want
| to distribute them as a whole. Means with my installer I want to
| distribute the packages also.
| That means "rpm -ivh XYZ.rpm" is coming statically. :)
`----

XYZ program and your installer can be considered as two separate
packages. This means your installer code can be released under GPL'ed.

Here is a nice resource you can refer to. Read answers around this link.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation

--
Anand Babu
GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31