[fsug-bangalore] PDF 1.6 with xpdf

Abhas Abhinav abhas@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Jun 12 20:54:03 IST 2005

Hi Rakesh...

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 11:36 +0530, Rakesh 'Arky' Ambati wrote:
> With using xpdf to read certain PDF version 1.6 files, it gives the
> following warning.
>
> Error: PDF version 1.6 -- xpdf supports version 1.5 (continuing anyway)
>
> Am using xpdf version 3.00-13 on debian unstable, doesn't anyone know
> how to get PDF 1.6 working with xpdf.I don't want to use Acroread, so
> that's not a solution.
>
> Can anybody help ?

A couple of options come my mind:

1. Have you tried to use gpdf or kpdf? The might be using similar
engines, but I've not seen too many PDFs that they can not open?

2. Have you tried to use gv? It will use ghostscript to convert try to
convert the PDF into PS and then show it on-screen. Alternatively, you
could also try to use gs directly. Just experiment a bit with the gs
input and output options and I think you will be able to convert the PDF
into PS.

If the file's small enough and not private, can you mail it to the
mailing list (or to me directly) so that I can test it out at my end as
well.

Cheers,
Abhas.
--