Hi! This is Jhinuk

Jhinuk Cchowdhury jhinuk.cchowdhury@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Jul 29 15:40:08 IST 2005

Hi!

This is Jhinuk. I am a journalist working for this magazine 'Linux For
You' (LFY). My stint with FOSS goes back to 2003. That was when I came
fresh out of the university and was desperately looking for a job. LFY
had an opening, I applied. They called me for an English test and an
interview. I appeared. They liked me and extended an offer. I accepted
the offer, with full consciousness that I didn't have even the vaguest
clue as to what on earth was 'LINUX'. And knowing fully well that this
word has never ever appeared on any of those history and journalism
books that I studied.

My first story was on Open Source and the Indian Government. My first
question was 'Does the Government know what is it?' Rahul Chopra, my
editor, said, "Excellent, let this be the focus of your story." Well,
actually, undercover, my statement was 'What do I know about this OSS
and what the Government is doing!' :)) Well, I could afford such a
reaction, as back then I had colleagues like Abhishek and Mayank to
fall back on :) Thanks to them it's they who formed that foundation of
whatever FOSS I know today. Then came people/mentors like Fredrick
Noronha, KG Ramesh Kumar, who told me that there is a world out there
which believes knowledge ought to be free and open for all to view,
for everyone to add onto it and shape it according to one's need. Back
at school I always hated my tuition teacher when she asked me not to
share my notes with other students in my class because they haven't
taken up tuitions with her.

'Free and Open Source Software', the only term that I don't like here
is 'software'. Somehow this word limits a very mighty philosophy, to
mean just a technology. Whereas, this is a way of life for me and for
hundreds of millions out there.

My friend Arky said the intro should be more than just 'Hi! I am
Jhinuk'. And now that I started, there are so many words that's got
jumbled in my mind. Meagre media coverage of FOSS, women in FOSS, FOSS
for non techies like me, FOSS beyond software....Phew. But guess I
should stop trying your patience and end this 'supposed' introduction
here!

"You see things and ask why, I dream of things as never before and ask
why not" :)
GB Shaw