[fsug-bangalore] Arky is back from ....

Rakesh 'arky' Ambati rakesh_ambati@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Dec 28 08:47:25 IST 2005

Hi FN,
--- "Frederick Noronha (FN)" <fred at bytesforall.org>
wrote:

> Arky, sorry to hear about your computer going up in
> flames. How did that
> happen?

Well, Please don't give 'going up in flames' too
literally. The power controller circuts (chip) was
overloaded, it just melted, I have lost two monitors
and I do not how much damage my mobo has sustained.

>I'm curious as well as empathetic... have
> had blow-outs with my
> mother boards and SMPS repeatedly at home. So it
> would help if I
> understood the electricity problem too. FN

It seems to me that it is really beyond our control
FN, the other day the Electrical Dept people replaced
some lines nearby my building (well, I can't sue them
right ;o)  and its seems more than ten computers have
faced simillar problem in my area itself. Neither
having a UPS or good grounding won't __really__
protect us, that's what I learnt the hard way.

Few years back, I heard of a simillar problem caused
in another locality in bangalore where lot of TV's
just blew up(with smoke and all ;o) because some bird
tried to carry off a disposed two wheeler clutch cable
and it dropped on the overhead electric wires fuseing
high tension wires.

I think its plain bad luck, I will keep you updated
when I isolate the problem FN.

Cheers

--arky

--