Freedom of ?

Rakesh 'Arky' Ambati rakesh_ambati@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Aug 15 10:52:07 IST 2005

Morning Friends,

Its all over the morning newspapers, calling people to rejoice our
'Freedom' from oppression 50 odd years ago.

Wadding thro the throngs of people with apparent smiles on faces I
thought 'Is this the joy of Independence day or just that people are
happy they got a vacation of straight 3 days?'.

On the next traffic signal I was suddenly brought out of my reverie but
someone who poking a handful of bright plastic 'Indian flag's right into
my face, on his dirty and half soiled shirt were numerous golden pin's,
some stating 'Be Proud to be an Indian' or just the tri-colours embossed
on some cheap metal painted in gold.I know in a few days I would see
those very bright and patriotic tri-colours would be floating around in
the cities sewers and trampled under the feet of the people rushing to
their jobs.

Now and then, I wonder 'Freedom from' what ? Perhaps today is the day to
hit the last nail with all my energy.

Maybe, I cherish the fact we have fought to free ourselves from bondage
from the white man. Maybe, we have always been slaves of our
in-abilities and still remain so.

Perhaps, we should free ourselves from idea of in-ability, that change
can not be brought, let it be in our education system or in the
government or bureaucracy or in the local governing.We shouldn't be a
slave to idea of 'Impossibility'. I don't relish to hear words 'Its
Impossible ' to get VTU or some Indian University to accept Free
Software or what ever or 'This isn't the way to do it ' .

Impossible, my dear is very relative to what you __think__ you can or
you can't.So, I set upon promising myself that from today.

I will be ...

Free - in my thoughts

Fair - in my judgement

Firm - in my actions

If you have read until this time, I thank you for your time.And yes, am
growing old and senile.

Cheers

--
arky