[fsug-bangalore] VTU FLOSS campaign and VC's response.

Rakesh 'Arky' Ambati rakesh_ambati@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Aug 15 10:07:17 IST 2005

Morning Vivek,
On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 10:04 +0530, Vivek Varghese Cherian wrote:
> First of all a belated appology for the long delay in posting to
> the list. I was down with fever after the trip.

Hey, you don't need to apologies here.What's important is that you are
feeling much better now.

> I do not consider the effort by Ramakrishna, Praveen, Thejesh and
> myself to take the VTU FLOSS petition to Belgaum a failure by any
> streach of imagination.

I'll second that.

> The petition and trip proves the following points.
>
> a) The entire FLOSS community, be it Free Software Advocates like
> myself or Open Source advocates like Chitnis, were united on this one
> issue, that a major Technical University like the VTU should adopt
> Free Software in its curriculum.
>
> b) By taking this petition in person to Belgaum we have dispelled
> the oft quoted phrase "there are no dedicated/intrested FLOSS
> advocates in India who are willing to do the dirty job of meeting
> and convincing the beaurucrats and politicians the cause of FLOSS".

I guess, nobody could have summed up the idea better than vivek.

The technical prowess of the India are reckoned with awe and respect
around the world, few days ago I read a column by noted American
economist expressing his fears on silicon valley's (USA) growth may be
hit by the __reverse__ brain-drain[1].The mass machinery of technical
education however inept, has the potential to churn out engineers en
mass, it should adopt to the Free Software in the teaching, and it will
take a lot of prodding by us.

> The only thing that comes to my mind about how we could have done this
> any better is that we could have got the media involved or could even
> have approached noted personalities like Poornachandra Thejeswi
> ( Kuvempu's son), who are intrested in the Free Software movement.
>
> I had a conversation with hpnadig (Indlinux developer) on this issue
> and both of us feel getting the media and a few noted personalities
> who support the Free Software Movement in Karnataka can get things
> moving a bit better.

Some days after your return from VTU, I had a brain-storming sessions
with lot people and I consulted with our 'Media-person on par' Jhinuk
about the possibility of approaching media by doing a 'Meet the Press'
at Press Club of India building.Here excerpts from private chat summing
up her thoughts,

~~~~
now there could be two approaches towards this
one we go via press club
two we call up these newspapers - Deccan, Vijaya, TOI, ET Hindu etc ask
for the technical correspondent's and give them the story (about VTU
FLOSS campaign)
yes we might have to explain to them certain things, it might look
tedious in the beginning but i guess its worth it
just think about it.
~~~~~

Another FSUG member, an architect by profession Ms.Smitha Rao advices me
that if you go press, we better be right about the timing.

So, I leave upon the VTU FLOSS Gang to decide upon what to be done next.

> Another approach we can take is to raise awareness among students and
> teachers in the various colleges affiliated to the VTU who in turn can
> raise awareness among thier peers about Free Software.

Yes, there are plans to participate in major events like LinuxBangalore2005 and also conduct
events in colleges.

> I hope to be in Bangalore again in a few weeks time, and maybe i can meet
> Arkay and the other folks and discuss the future modus operandi in detail.

You are most welcome, drop me an email about your travel plans.

Cheers

[1]Most of the software companies in the Bay Area(USA) were formed
by/powered by expatriate Indians and Chinese.

--
arky
GPG Key ID:  0x92BCF7D4