VTU FLOSS campaign and VC's response.

Praveen A pravi.a@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Aug 9 17:40:58 IST 2005

Hi folks,

This is about the petition to VC of VTU.
http://bangalore.gnu.org.in/?VTU-FLOSS_Campaign

> On August 6th Saturday we got an apponitment to meet the VC at VTU Campus
> in Belgaum. We (Thejesh <http://www.techmag.biz/>, Ramakrishna<http://ramkrsna.objectis.net/>,
> Vivek <http://www.geocities.com/vivekvarghesecherian/> and myself -
> Praveen A <http://www.pravi.co.nr/>) met at Coffee Day at MG Road on 4th
> Evening and discussed the plans and presantation. We left for Belgaum on 5th
> Evening and reached there by 6th Morning. We preapared the presantation and
> by afternoon we reached the VTU campus. To our great disappointement the VC
> was not there. He didn't keep his appointment. So we had to give the
> petition to the Registrar and comeback (We were very angry about the way VC
> responed and it even becam grave when registar told us that every weekend he
> is in Bangalore ! We had clearly mentioned that we are coming from bangalore
> and if he is in bangalore every week, then Why did he give an appointment at
> Belgaum ? He might have thought that we won't go thus far to meet him !
> Anyway we are not gonna let it go. We are trying to meet him in bangalore.
> If w cannot go some one else will be ready. He will have to listen to us one
> day.)
>
> First, nothing would be achieved with rage, change is a slow process, we
> should take this experience as good lesson.

The rage was not beacuse VTU did not embrace FLOSS just after our petition.
But it was beacuse he didn't keep his word. He gave an appointment on Sat
eve ate Belgaum and when we reached there he was not there and Registrar
told us every weekend he is in Bangalore !!! He knew that we are coming from
Bangalore and so what emotion we should have ? It was a basic courtecy that
anyone expect especially one in a position like VC.
If something urgent was there he could have informed us before. It was not
an unscheduled visit to Bangalore, every weekend he is Bangalore !!!!!

See I and Thejesh took leave for this and Vivek came all the way from
Trivandrum to Belgaum just for this.

It was not the response to the petition that made us angry but the way he
did not keep his word and cheated us.

 we are planning to meet the VC here in Bangalore. Well as the great quote
> goes "First they laugh at you, then they neglect you, then they fight you
> and then you win". We will keep putting our views in front of him.
>
> Next steps:
>
> (1) Keep the petition alive.
>
> (2) Meet VC at Bangalore.
>
> (3) Start FLOSS awareness at colleges.
>
> It would be better if we use the mailing-list for the further discussion.
> --arky

The discussion is on at
http://bangalore.gnu.org.in/?VTU-FLOSS_Campaign-status

--
"GNU is the system, and Linux is the kernel."
A proud GNU user http://www.gnu.org