[fsug-bangalore] Participation by FSF-India in LB-05

Abhas Abhinav abhas@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Aug 2 14:35:20 IST 2005

Hi Kanti!

Thanks a lot for raising this issue! :)

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 08:31 +0000, Kanti Jadia wrote:
> > > if you happen to be on the lb mailing list
> > > (linux-bangalore-2005 at yahoo ) you would get to pitch in too.
> > >
> >Honestly, I keep away from those lists like plaque.
> >

> Yep , thats true of a lot of people.
> But in the end this needs to be done.
> I would be more than happy if FSF-India gets a formal representation
> in the event ( maybe in terms of being a sponsor too ).

Actually, I made a formal request to the conference organisers to give a
free stall to FSF. However, they wrote back saying that the event is
more about "open source" and not "free software" and so it would be
difficult to give a stall out to FSF.

However, this year the organisers are more open to this (ref: replies to
your post on the LB/05 mailing list) and this a really nice thing. I
guess we should do all that is needed to ensure FSF presence at the
event.

A couple of TODOs towards this:

1. Identify what we all want to achieve through a representation at LB.
This will ensure that our activities are very closely aligned with the
sort of results we want to see.Would

2. Identify a list of activities that need to be undertaken (selling GNU
CDs / manuals / posters / t-shirts, clearing doubts about GNU / FSF,
getting attention to FSF / FSF-I projects and initiatives, get focus on
free software-related campaigns that need support etc.) and at least two
people (from our FSUG and elsewhere) who would be responsible for
carrying them.

3. List out the resources we need to have at the stall. Computers,
posters, CDs, blank CDs and ISOs, demos (GNU/Linux and GNU/Hurd).

I listed out the stuff above so that we can start to disagree about what
we need to do at the stall! :) That way we'll reach a clear decision on
it sooner.

I volunteer to take care of ensuring that we have at least two computers
there. We can also arrange for a CD writer and maybe some blank CDs as
well.

I can think of a few more activities we can carry out:

1. Setup a FSUG technical team and promote it as the nodal point in
Bangalore to take care of any GNU/Linux related technical questions and
support.

2. Come up with a small directory (printed) of GNu/Linux consultants,
vendors and service providers. Some are listed on FSF-I website - others
can sign up a few weeks before the event. The printing costs can be
borne by some of the people who're listed in the directory.

(In fact, can we extend this to include contact information for Free
Software developers who are ready to work a few hours a week on
contract? That way anyone who needs to develop / fix Free Software knows
whom to contact!)

3. Any ideas of talks that can be presented by one of us? On what
topics?

Any thing else? The ball is already rolling, now...

Cheers,
Abhas.
--
Abhas Abhinav <abhas at deeproot.co.in>