[fsug-bangalore] suggestion for software freedom day

Rakesh 'Arky' Ambati rakesh_ambati@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Aug 2 02:24:22 IST 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 02:12 +0530, Raj Shekhar wrote:
> Let us plan for just one per year currently -- I am extremely lazy :-)

Hey I second that, Arky is more lazy than Lunatech.

> Personally, I am strongly against giving anything free of cost.  The
> reason being - it will  attract a boatload of free loaders.  It would be
> a good idea to sell the CDs at a nominal cost- say 75 rupees for a set
> of Fedora CDs, 100 Rs. for Debian CDs etc.

I personally lost a whole pack of Ubuntu like coz freeloaders, I guess
not even one was ever tried out.

> However, this thing is still far off in the future.  Maybe a better step
> right now would be to identify colleges that are willing to host this
> event.

Talk to your friends and provide us a some links to college collages and
schools.

> Delhi LUG had organized the event in the Jamia milia Hamdard University,
> which provided us with easy access to lab facilities, good food (very
> important in any event) and eager learners.

We can learn from your experience in this events lunatech.

> Corporate sponsorship is important.  Most of the people who helped in
> organising in Linux Demo Day persuaded their companies in organizing the
> event. Some companies gave CD burners, desktop machines for the event.

Lets not think big, but lets have many small events. If we can machines
or CD burners we can ask members to share their hardware.

> Lastly, I would like to point out that the idea behind the event was not
> to impress anyone or to show the power of Linux - it was all about
> having fun.  For me, it was like a big picnic :-)

But I want regular picnic lunatech, not once in year during summer
holidays.

Cheers
--
arky