[fsug-bangalore] FSF in Schools

Ramanraj K ramanraj@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Jun 15 10:00:46 IST 2004

Suraj wrote:

>,----
>| We  can   also  request  developers  to  write   the  most  elementary
>| introductory tutorial  keeping in  mind that it  will be used  by high
>| school  students.   [The  best example  I  can  cite  is that  of  the
>| documentation that comes with PostgreSQL ]
>`----
>
>One practical  problem we faced in  Demo at Schools was the  lack of some
>sort  of a  thing (which  I haven't  yet understood  completely) which
>results in documents/tutorials getting half way through.

Then, centralised efforts may be needed.  Assigning the task to the
teachers themselves is the best thing to do, because they know best what
the students will understand and what they wont' which will be
supplemented with their own notes.

>,----
>| Most  teachers  take  their job  seriously  and  may  not be  able  to
>| visualise anything  remotely resembling free  software. The Management
>| and teachers think  in concrete terms of text  books, class work, home
>| work, tests and marks, and if a bare outline of the curriculum is laid
>| bare, then, I think most schools and teachers would be more than happy
>| to teach  the students not  only free software  but the high  value of
>| sharing in life that can be easily learnt at school level.
>`----
>
>Completely  Agree. From  what I  experienced,  Its a  chicken and  egg
>problem -- Without convincing them  (the school) how well the students
>can learn free software they  wont let you present a valuable syllabus
>to follow  and without following a proper  syllabus, practicals, tests
>and "marks"  the school wont know  how to grade /  judge the students.
>For  all we  did in  demo at schools  was to  teach, teach  and teach  in
>weekends. Infact after  a point we even convinced  ourselves that "its
>okay if  the students  are interested by  themselves. they  will start
>hacking all by themselves after  a point.". But that wont happen until
>they get a good grip on things... and THAT didn't happen... :(

It will happen only when the right text books get written and are
available.    Certain concepts like pipes and permissions could be
taught from an early stage, and will help the students to think the
right way from the start, regardless of `marks'.  Merely pointing to
resources already available should help.  If no text books are available
then, a good book available in the market should be made available for
reference.  Using primary documentation that comes with the program or
those written by the authors themselves are the very best.  They are
often less profound than their commentators.

Regards,
Ramanraj.