[fsug-bangalore] FSF in Schools

Vimal Joseph vimalekm@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Jun 15 09:51:27 IST 2004

Ramanraj K said on Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 08:30:34PM +0530,:

[snip]

>>>Any  idea what  is  the scenario  in  bangalore schools  (in terms  of
>>>syllabus, courses, etc.,.)?  Unfortunately  none of my colleagues have
>>>any school-related funda.
>>>
>>And, what is the scenario everywhere else too [both in and out of India]?

In Kerala, IT is introduced as a mandatory subject in govt./aided high
schools. The syllabus is based on both GNU/Linux and Windows so that
the schools can choose the platform they want. Some schools choose
gnu/linux as their platform. But most did not because

* the training for teachers is given only in windows.
* almost all programs given in the resource CDs work only with
  windows.
* Though the syllabus is almost platform neutral, some incompatibilities
  crept in the form of BASIC. Some BASIC programs in the text works only
  with qbasic or some other proprietary s/w.

Anyway this much had happened. And now all students and teachers
at-least know there is an operating system called GNU/Linux...but
still... dont know how many knows what free software really means...

Work is in progress for an Educational GNU/Linux based on
Morphix. An experimental version of this CD is available at
<http://freesoftware.keltron.org/edumorphixcd.html>. Full credits goes
to Sajith VK of FSF-I.

regards,

	~vimal