[fsug-bangalore] Knock knock.

Suraj Kumar suraj@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Jun 14 09:21:01 IST 2004

Ramanraj K wrote:
,----
| taken there  during Computer  Science Period, about  once a  week.  At
| UKG, the only program introduced is  `Paint' - and children can get to
| learn about using the mouse, keyboard and simple tools.  No text books
| are
`----

[snip]

,----
| At I Std, a Text Book  is issued for `Computer Science'.  The chapters
| are: 1. Introduction 2. Hello Computers 3. Parts of a Computer 4. Uses
| of Computer 5. Computers at Work 6. Type with Notepad [ms] 7. Let's
`----

[snip]

True, as I  might have mentioned in one of my  earlier mails, there is
no  mandatory "computer science"  subject for  classes upto  10th. The
only reason  why all schools make  it mandatory is to  keep abreast of
the competition -- when all others  offer a CS subject, a given school
has no other option. So they usually  ask an NIIT or an APTECH to help
them.

However  the "computer  miss/master" is  usually someone  without much
enthusiasm  for  teaching  computing  the  way, say,  someone  of  our
*wavelength*  would want  to.   We (Demo at Schools)  tried convincing  a
school  (where  we were  regularly  teaching  the  students some  Free
Software (bash, fundamentals  of "UNIX", python)) to let  us teach the
teachers. But somehow they took  it too personally and never liked the
idea of a "teacher" learning from someone. :(

,----
| HTH to frame an approach to introducing free software to children, and
| may be through them, to parents :)
`----

Any  idea what  is  the scenario  in  bangalore schools  (in terms  of
syllabus, courses, etc.,.)?  Unfortunately  none of my colleagues have
any school-related funda.

cheers,

  -Suraj

--