[fsug-bangalore] Knock knock.

Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan rkrishnan@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Jun 10 23:19:49 IST 2004

 || On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 17:28:42 +0530
 || Ramanraj K <ramanraj at md4.vsnl.net.in> wrote:

 ramanraj> The moral dilemma was pointed out by Suraj also.  If the company you
 ramanraj> work for releases all the code written under the GPL or like free
 ramanraj> license but charges for customisation or providing other services like
 ramanraj> installation and maintenance, this issue vanishes.  I guess this issue

No, they don't. And I don't think they ever will.

 ramanraj> is part of `advocacy' for free software and indicates that more
 ramanraj> advocacy is needed in India.  A meaningful campaign from all possible
 ramanraj> directions need to be kept up until `software' means only `free
 ramanraj> software'.

It's very difficult to convince indian companies. I had a short experience talking
to one of the officials of a 'billion-dollar Indian company' afew months back. Even
after repeatedly reminding him of the facts about free software and also admitting
his own mistakes, he refused to use the term 'free software', and I ended my
conversation there.

 ramanraj> Congratulations :)  Good Luck ;)

Thanks.

--
    Ramakrishnan                   http://www.hackGNU.org/
    Use Free Software -- Help stamp out Software Hoarding!