[Fsf-india] Re: Kindly guide me

Richard Stallman rms@gnu.org
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 01:42:58 -0400

    In India most of the university’s curriculum is based on
    copyrighted software and so there is no chance for students to
    know what is exactly happening 'inside'.

A minor correction: I think you mean it is based on non-free software.
Free software and non-free software are both copyrighted; the
difference is in the license.  See
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html.

					     I want to change this
    scenario. I have a plan for training students and making them pay
    back to the institute through service, i.e. they have to propagate
    the ethics of FSF and GNU/GPL in the near by engineering colleges
    and schools.

It sounds like an idea worth trying.  However, you can't expect people
to do such service in an effective way merely because they have an
obligation to your institute.  They would need to really believe in it
to do it right.  Also it would help motivate them if they were
continuing to get something from their relationship with the
institute.

		 I have plans to tie up with the universities and
    offer GNU/Linux Support and make them convince the advantages of
    copylefted’ software. I would be grateful to you if you could
    guide me to find money to start the institute. I need US $ 20000/-
    for meeting the initial expenditure, i.e. for renting a building
    and buying computers and printing brochure. Also I will be glad if
    you could suggest a name for the institute.

That is a lot of money to invest in a group without a track record.
If you try starting small, you probably don't need money like that.
Maybe people in FSF India can find you the computers you need, for a
small start, if you do it under their auspices.  Then you won't
need any money for computers.

You can reach the FSF India board at fsf-india@gnu.org.in.