[Fsf-india] GOA-INDIA: Some notes from our GNU/Linux April-end meeting

Frederick Noronha fred@bytesforall.org
Wed, 1 May 2002 16:40:03 +0530 (IST)

Some notes from our GNU/Linux April-end meeting

* Laxman Saval, our Bahrain-based ILUG member, took the trouble to
  specially attend this meet which saw a far smaller-than-usual turnout.

* Short discussion on Red Hat courses, now being offered at Verna.
  Some felt the price structure of some certifications offered
  by brandname companies was tough on the pocket.

* Some banter about the IBM GNULinux CD set giveaway offer.
  (IBM posts across free CD sets for Linux developers. You have to
  visit the website, fillup a form and wait 4-6 weeks.)
  http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/offers/linux-speed-start/?t=gr,l37=q2LinuCD
  http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/robocode?open&t=gr,l37=Robocode10
  http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/offers/spc/spc_lappws.html?t=gr,l37=Linuxorkshop

* ArvindY said IBM offers free webspace for 3 months or so for
  developers to test their work on various OSs.He promised to give
  the link.

* Plan to set up new TECHNICAL mailing list for Linux in Goa.

* Plans to set up two more mailing-lists: linux-goa-announce (only
  for important announcements) and linux-goa-moderators (for
  the core team to discuss issues and policies).

* Discussion about the GNULinux mailing-list manager Mailman.
  Animesh said there seemed to be no way to block attachements
  on Mailman. FN agreed (but later checked up and found that there
  indeed is a way out!) To see Mailman in operation, pls visit
  http://www.indialists.org ...

* Since Mini Jerome of GoaTelecom was around, the subject came up
  of blocking(?) virii on GoaTelecom server. ArvindY suggested a
  GNULinux solution to allow 'auto-mailforwarding' on GoaTelecom.
  He also mentioned the recent visit of Ashish Kotamkar <ashish@
  mithi.com> of Mithi in Pune, and the possibility of Indian-
  language solutions.

* Animesh raised a query about Devanagiri (Hindi) font set.

* GoaTelecom had some queries about copying users from old to
  new servers (needing: password, group, gshadow and shadow).

* FN said a conference on Indian language computing solutions
  was being planned later this year, possibly with participation
  from Media Lab Asia. He also mentioned the availability of
  a number of GNULinux s/w products through the freshmeat.net
  site (available also through its mailing-list, via email).
  But felt this needed someone to categorise them and package
  them to suitable users.

* Long discussion on Open Office, and how it compares with
  Star Office. "RAM requirement appears to be rather low."
  "As of now, it can even open Office XP files and save as that."

* Ms Jerome asked about educational software for children.
  Some suggestions (unchecked): k12 and seul (or seol?) She
  sought suggestions on getting her seventh-standard
  son into using GNULinux.

* It was suggested that GoaTelecom.net could upload how-tos
  on installing KPPP, KMail and maybe even Eudora (Windows).
  Any volunteers willing to write these would be appreciated.

* That's it. See you on May 25. It's Id, so anyone wanting
  to celebrate is specially welcome. We meet @ CSI, 4 pm,
  rain or sun, heat or cold, powerfailure or not.

					      www.indialists.org
in.photos.yahoo.com/fredericknoronha  www.livejournal.com/users/goalinks
 _   _                       _		      www.goa-world.net/fotofolio
| \ | | ___  _ __ ___  _ __ | |__   __ _      www.goacom.com/news
|  \| |/ _ \| '__/ _ \| '_ \| '_ \ / _` |     www.freenewsgoa.net
|_| \_|\___/|_|  \___/|_| |_|_| |_|\__,_|     Goa, India Ph 91.832.409490