[Fsf-india] An appeal to members

E. Krishnan ekmath@md5.vsnl.net.in
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 17:37:07 +0530 (IST)

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Radhakrishnan CV wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 at 22:16, FSF India wrote:
>
> Therefore, if someone calls me a leftie, comie, idealogical idiot,
> obviously I will have a thorough introspection, but if I'm convinced
> that I'm not an idealogical idiot, I'm just indifferent to that
> attribute so that it remains with the person who attributed those to
> me, just as Buddha analogized this to someone who gives ten rupees
> to me, I dont accept it, the money rests with him.
>
> However, retorting is a basic human nature no matter it is right or
> wrong.

I think there's another aspect to a response, even when one is creatively
indifferent to the charges against him, when such charges are made in
public. To let others also recognize the creative indifference. If not,
silence may often be mistaken for acquiescence.

So my point is that we still remain as human animals,

OK, Maybe we are still human animals. But don't you think in the
course of time the human element will swell and the animal nature ebb
away, so that Man may be worthy of that name? I'd like to think so an
would like to see whether this process can be accelerated.

> all that is used to provide an aura of sophistication, gentleness,
> moral exactitude and the so called balanced view are all a sort of
> theories aimed at the peaceful co-existence of these human animals.

Please don't think I'm quibbling over words, but if by "aura" you mean an
artificial glow, then "gloss" might be a better word. "Aura" suggests a
glow emanating from within. In this sense, I do believe all those
qualities you mentioned practiced sincerely, do produce an aura. But
pretensions produce only a gloss which time will soon tarnish.

> Therefore, we need not worry at all, let us talk as loudly as
> possible because we want to communicate each other, let us have the
> courage to exhibit the creative indifference to tormenting remarks
> if at all we encounter something like that, let us try to execute
> our freedom without external hindrances but with self imposed
> restraints, because none of us wants to live alone.

I agree totally.

--
Krishnan