[Fsf-india] An appeal to members

Radhakrishnan CV cvr@river-valley.org
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:45:36 +0530 (IST)

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 at 22:16, FSF India wrote:

   As we all know fsf-india list is a forum for discussion/debate on
   ideas and action. In the forum positive criticism is always
   welcome but we all must restrain from character assassination of
   individuals. This applies to everyone, regardless of what
   position they are standing for.

I subscribe to what Arun has written above, but I seldom believe
that this is going to be kept up by everyone in this list nor do I
believe that the kind of flames will not be repeated.

When we plead for creative anarchy with the positive belief that
unhindered/unrestrained discussion that might touch even the
peripheries of abuse and blasphemy at times will bring forth
positive and creative developmental strategies, we need to have
another quality to see the willful intimidating abuses directed
against us with a sense of *creative indifference*. If not creative
anarchy will not bring forth the desired positive results.

Therefore, if someone calls me a leftie, comie, idealogical idiot,
obviously I will have a thorough introspection, but if I'm convinced
that I'm not an idealogical idiot, I'm just indifferent to that
attribute so that it remains with the person who attributed those to
me, just as Buddha analogized this to someone who gives ten rupees
to me, I dont accept it, the money rests with him.

However, retorting is a basic human nature no matter it is right or
wrong. I believe human beings are a curious mix of passion, emotion,
reason, power, benevolence, aggression, etc with one aspect running
high at a given point of time and one can never expect the same
ratio in tandem with another human being. When passion runs high,
there is every likelihood of a clash, why should be afraid of that
when it is an undeniable reality?

Humanity hates killing, but it has retorted killing with another
killing, remember the sequel of Sept 11 and the whole of humanity
supported it. So my point is that we still remain as human animals,
all that is used to provide an aura of sophistication, gentleness,
moral exactitude and the so called balanced view are all a sort of
theories aimed at the peaceful co-existence of these human animals.

Therefore, we need not worry at all, let us talk as loudly as
possible because we want to communicate each other, let us have the
courage to exhibit the creative indifference to tormenting remarks
if at all we encounter something like that, let us try to execute
our freedom without external hindrances but with self imposed
restraints, because none of us wants to live alone.

Three cheers for creative anarchy.

--
Radhakrishnan